Tuesday, 22 March 2011
Literature...
I believe that there is no right, nor wrong, way to write and to express one's mind. Every individual should potentially have the 'freedom' to write about what he or she desires, about just anything that they desire to express. I don't think it's right for people to judge, or criticize harshly just because they have majored in English or creative writing or whatnot, since it is not up to anyone else to tell you that an individual's writing is wrong, unsophisticated, and unappealing. So what if you can write all formal, punctual and all that? Do they sound free, are they expressing what they really want to say? Or are they just following all the rules so it looks formal and correct? Yeah, sure, you get props for going to university or college for learning how everyone should write. But really? Can you really be taught on how to 'be yourself' and say what you really want to say? Whoever bans these books are basically saying, 'we don't like how you write, so we're not going to show any other people your writing, so please go to school and learn how to write'. Foul language, sexual content, drugs and violence are probably the main reasons why books get banned. Many of these books are about real things that people experience, or what an individual really believe in or take interest in. You can't tell them to not write about something they feel strongly passionate for. Even though foul language are offensive, but they do emphasize alot on what they're trying to say so it should be allowed especially for the English department. It's totally different from when you use foul language in a conversation with a friend and using it in a proper content when you're writing. People and writers, should not be 'limited', especially when it comes to writing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow. I think Vonnegut himself would be proud of this post. As a writer with no formal traiing, I think he truly believed in creating an original style through a clear LACK of influence. On the other side of the debate, Einstein once said that "the secret to creativity is to hide your sources."
ReplyDeleteright julie! No one should be obligated to have prior special training in order to be capable of expressing their ideas on paper! Once, again, the italics and bolds helped me follow your ideas, bravo!
ReplyDeleteSir I agree with Einstein! the secret to creativity IS to hide your sources. I think that's how originality is developed from an individual. To add your own 'funk' into your writing, or even dancing that no one else knows how to do or know of. Even though sharing is caring... but come on, I think I can say that many people have some sort of their own secret ingredient. Something they don't really want to reveal, because once you let it out it spreads fast. Like a secret recipe! Haha. And YES henry!! Thanks!!!!
ReplyDelete